AMATEUR RADIO KC7VXZ
November 22, 2021
Computers | Libraries | Music | Electrical | Education & Certification | Other
Computer Science Employment
Whipple Website and One-Name Study (Webmaster/Programmer/Researcher, January 1997-present)
- Collect and input genealogical information.
- Design and implement front-end and mobile interfaces and backend scripts for whipple.org and whipple.one-name.net.
- Program using C, C++, Perl, Apache, Swish-e, ged2html, GEDCOM, HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap.
iAppWriters, LLC, Orem, UT (CEO, November 2009-2020)
- Write iOS and Android apps in German and English.
- Program using Swift, Obj-C, Java, Kotlin, C, I18n/L10n, OOD/OOP.
Bluehost, Orem/Provo, UT (Senior Software Engineer, October 2008-October 2012, April 2015-May 2018)
- Modify/patch MySQL and MariaDB for statistics and throttling.
- Write Apache modules.
- Write Spam Hammer greylisting daemon for Exim.
- Linux programming using C, C++, Perl, Regex, Exim, Apache, PostgreSQL
BetterLinux, Provo/Orem, UT (Senior Developer, October 2010-April 2015) [Bluehost spinoff]
- Full stack programming, modifying MySQL/MariaDB source code, writing Apache modules, create cPanel backend hooks and web-based WHM plugins.
- Linux programming using MySQL/MariaDB, cPanel, C, C++, Perl, HTML/CSS/YUI, Riak
Perfect Search Corporation, Orem, UT (Senior Programming Engineer, July 2007-present)
- Design and implementation of high speed indexing and search retrieval software, using C++ and Perl.
- Search verification and timing tools implemented with XML, XSLT, XHTML, Perl, OpenOffice.org, wget, xalan and xmllint.
Lingotek, Provo, UT (Software Engineer, January 2006-July 2007)
- Design and implementation of Java servlet-based (Tomcat) language search engine for translators.
- Native format-to-XLIFF converters using Java and SAX (XML) parsers on Linux and other platforms.
- Current owner of the File2XLIFF4j project on SourceForce.net.
- Implementation of a document repository to store and serve translations in progress.
NTT/Verio, Orem, UT (Software Engineer, September 2000-January 2006)
- Perl scripts for maintenance of PersonalWeb shared hosting, solving Pine, FTP, and LDAP problems.
- Sendmail upgrades (versions 8.8.6 through 8.13.x) of FreeBSD and Solaris Virtual Private Servers (VPS), 400,000+ domains.
- Internationalization APIs for Apache, Qmail, and XML/XSLT-based web interfaces in C and Perl.
- Email optimization, authentication, encryption, spam and virus filtering, customization.
- Web analytics for VPS and Signature shared platforms.
- Scripts for distribution of software changes to VPS and Signature servers.
Novell, Inc., Orem and Provo, UT (Software Engineer, March 1996-September 2000)
- Conversion of original QuickFinder to OLE PerfectOffice component using Unicode.
- NetWare Web Search (Web servlet-based version of QuickFinder)
- Web servlet-based administrative interface to NetWare Web Search
Ameritech Library Services, Provo, UT (Software Engineer, November 1995-March 1996)
- Object-oriented analysis and design of automated library systems
WordPerfect Corporation, Orem, UT (Senior Developer, August 1992-November 1995)
- Programming on VM/370, AS/400, Windows, Macintosh, Unix, Linux and NetWare, in C, C++ and Java.
- Menu-driven GUI for WordPerfect/400.
- Single-source for Windows, Mac and Unix.
- Filters (RTF, WinHelp, HTML), Japanization, debugging tools for QuickFinder Search.
(Note: Novell, Inc. purchased WordPerfect in June 1994.)
Rochester Community College, Rochester, MN (Adjunct Faculty, January-June 1992)
- Teach COMP 110 (Introduction to VAX and PC computers)
- Teach COMP 243 (Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving in C)
IBM Corporation, Rochester, MN (Junior/Associate/Sr. Associate/Staff Programmer, December 1983-July 1992)
- AS/400 Integration and Build Tools Team Leader (2 years).
- 370 (CMS, MVS), System/38, AS/400, OS/2, BSD, and AIX.
- NBSGet/Put/Sub networking tools for cross-compilation of System/36 on VM/370.
- Scripts for automating overnight cross-compilation of System/36, System/38 and AS/400 source code libraries on VM/370.
- First release of Integrated Development Support System (IDSS) source control library.
- CreateISDTape build tool to create customized stacked tape for OS/400 distribution.
- Port of The Integrated Reasoning Shell (TIRS) expert system from Unix to AS/400.
- iOS/Android mobile programming (Obj-C, Swift, Xcode, Java, Android Studio, SQLite, Unity-3d)
- Open source programming. (MySQL/MariaDB, Apache modules, File2XLIFF4j, greylistd)
- LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl/Python/PHP).
- Apache configuration, module development, tuning. Also Tomcat, WebSphere, IIS, Netscape.
- Email (Sendmail, Exim, POP and IMAP) programming, configuration, customization and extensions.
- Software internationalization (I18N) and localization (L10N), including Asian and CTL (Complex Text Layout, e.g. Arabic and Devanagari-based) languages.
- SVN, Git, Jira, Bugzilla, Visual Studio, Net Beans, Eclipse, Android Studio, Xcode, Unity 3d, Emacs.
- Genealogical web site programming
- XML programming with Java, Perl, SAX, DOM, XSL, xalan and xmllint
- IBM mainframe/mini, FreeBSD/UNIX/Linux, PC/Windows, Mac OS/X and NetWare operating systems.
- Computer networking (TCP/IP, Windows, NetWare, wireless); CNE certification.
- Programming in REXX, C, C++, Java, Perl, C#. XML/XSL, XHTML, many others.
- Microsoft OLE, COM, and Compound Document technologies.
- Development methodologies: structured programming, OOA/D/P, eXtreme/Agile, TDD, rapid prototyping, and Waterfall methods, ...
University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE (Assistant Professor, August 1977-December 1983)
- Music cataloger (1977-81); also cataloged Japanese, Asian studies, philosophy, religion, computer science, & psychology).
- Online Cataloging Supervisor (1981-83); supervised 11 paraprofessional staff.
- NEBASE representative to Music OCLC Users Group (1979-82).
- Presented the NEBASE AACR2 Workshop on OCLC Formats (1981).
- Tenure granted 1983.
Rochester Public Library, Rochester, MN (Cataloger, May 1984-July 1992, part-time)
- Original cataloging of "difficult and unusual" materials.
- Catalog audio and video cassettes, compact discs, and A/V materials on SELCO regional online catalog, with input from OCLC as needed.
- Catalog U.S. Census publications on online catalog.
- Catalog foreign language materials (Japanese, Chinese, German, French, Italian, Vietnamese)
Union College, Lincoln, NE (Cataloger, Fall 1982-December 1983, part-time)
- Participate in conversion of card catalog to machine-readable form, using OCLC (all subject areas, with DDC and AACR2)
- Award-Winning Preludes on Hymn Tunes for Organ (Orem, UT: Wellspring Music, 1994; Knoxville, TN: Frog Music Press, 2004).
- Carol of the Little Donkey, for chorus SATB (Minneapolis, MN: Art Masters Studios, 1996).
- Prelude on "Infant Holy, Infant Lowly" (Zlobie), published in The Sacred Organ Journal (Dayton, Ohio: Lorenz, Nov/Dec 2005)
- Prelude on "O Little Town of Bethlehem" (St. Louis), published in The Organist's Library, v. 42. (Dayton, Ohio: Lorenz, Nov/Dec 2006)
- Prelude on "It Came upon the Midnight Clear" (Carol), published in The Organist (Dayton, Ohio: Lorenz, Nov/Dec 2006)
- Prelude on "Once in Royal David's City" (Irby), published in The Organ Portfolio, v. 71, no. 2, p. 67-69. (Dayton, Ohio: Lorenz, Nov/Dec 2007)
- Nine Meditations on Christmas Carols for Organ (Orem, UT: Wellspring Music, 2010).
Books and Articles
- Beethoven's Organ Works: A Study Lulu, 2016. ISBN 978-1-329-80129-5.
- "Beethoven's Organ Trios: Authentic or Spurious?" Diapason 68 (July 1977) 1, 8-10.
- "The L.D.S. Hymnal, Views on Foreign Editions: The Japanese Hymnal." Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 10 (Spring 1975/76) 53-54.
- Master's Thesis (Brigham Young University): Beethoven's Organ Works (1976)
Awards and Prizes
- 1968: First place, Ricks College hymn writing contest: "O Jesus, Crowned with Glory."
- 1973: de Jong Organ Award, Department of Music, Brigham Young University
- Church Music Contest, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
- 1986: Top entry, instrumental category: "Prelude on 'Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee'"
- 1987: 1st place, instrumental compositions or arrangements division: "Prelude on 'Away in a Manger'"
- 1988: 2nd place, instrumental compositions or arrangements division: "Prelude on 'Lead, Kindly Light'"
- 1989: 2nd place, instrumental compositions or arrangements division: "Prelude on 'Did You Think to Pray?'"
- 1990: 1st place, instrumental compositions or arrangements division: "Prelude on 'Oh, How Lovely Was the Morning'"
- 1991: 2nd place, instrumental compositions or arrangements division: "Prelude and Canon on 'God Loved Us, So He Sent His Son'"
- 1992: 1st place, instrumental compositions or arrangements division: "Prelude on 'How Gentle God's Commands'"; honorable mention, anthem/hymn arrangement division: "Come unto Me"
- 1993: Award of Merit, instrumental division: "Prelude on 'A Poor Wayfaring Man'"
- 1994: Special Recognition: "Prelude on 'While of These Emblems We Partake'"
Employment and Other Musical Activities
- 1973-76: Graduate (teaching) assistantships in music theory and comprehensive musicianship, organ pedagogy, musicology, and library acquisitions (music), Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- 1974: Music engraver (part-time), Sonos Music Resources, Orem, UT
- 1976-81: Music Cataloger, University Libraries, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 1978-83: Suzuki piano teacher (private studio), Lincoln, NE. Faculty member at semi-annual Suzuki Piano Workshops sponsored by the School of Music at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 1994-2021: President, Wellspring Music, Orem, UT
- 1996-2003: Member, General Music Committee, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Wilford Whipple Electric, Orem, UT (Journeyman Electrician, Networking Consultant, 1992-2000, part-time)
- Whipple Electric, Idaho Falls, ID (Journeyman Electrician, 1971-1976, part-time)
Education and Certification
Institution Degree Year GPA University of Minnesota M.S., computer & information science 1991 3.57/4.0 University of Nebraska-Lincoln B.S., computer science 1983 3.827/4.0 University of Illinois M.S., library science 1977 5.0/5.0 Brigham Young University B.A., music theory
Licenses and Certificates
License Licensing Body Date Issued Status Journeyman Electrician State of Idaho June 2, 1971 Inactive State of Nebraska November 2, 1983 Inactive State of Utah December 1992 Active CNE Novell, Inc. December 1994 Active Amateur Radio(KC7VXZ) F.C.C. 18 April 1997 Active
Other: Foreign Languages
- Japanese (fluent listening, speaking, reading, writing)
- German, Latin (working knowledge)
- French, Italian, Spanish (2nd year college level)
- Korean, Mandarin, Greek, Arabic (introductory level)